Guided Tour - Steam Train and Ongar or Greensted
Steam Train and Guided Tour with Complimentary Drinks and Picnic
The Epping Ongar Railway's 'The Ongar Explorer Tour' or 'The Greensted Adventurer Tour' will delight and intrigue in equal measures! The carefully crafted itinerary will allow you to travel on this historic route by steam train and vintage bus, learn about the history of the 150 year old former Underground line, and explore the medieval settlement of Chipping Ongar or visit the world's oldest (yes we mean oldest) wooden church at Greensted.
The tour starts right outside Epping Underground station where the vintage bus on route 339 is waiting to whisk you to North Weald Station . Here you will be greeted by our friendly tour guide who will give you an introduction to the Epping Ongar Railway and its 150 year old history, and guided tour of the station. After this, collect a complimentary cup of tea or coffee, a biscuit and your picnic lunch and take a steam train to Ongar. The guide is available on the way to Ongar to highlight points of interest and to answer any questions.
On arrival at Ongar, there is time for a picture of the locomotive and to hear about the history of Ongar Station.
After this, depending on which tour you have selected, you will have about 1hr and 45 minutes accompanied by your guide to learn more about the history of the Ongar and its links with the Epping Ongar Railway or to visit Greensted Church.
At 13.35 you can catch the steam train back to North Weald (or alternatively, if you prefer, the 14.35 diesel service). After that it's your choice as to whether you take a train to Epping Forest and back or just take the vintage bus back to Epping and home.
There are two tours available on selected days in the season.
Fridays and Saturdays
The Ongar Explorer
The tour is of Chipping Ongar and its town centre, including the castle and some of the local churches and buildings.
The Greensted Adventurer
The walk, weather permitting, will take you to the world's oldest wooden church at Greensted.
- 09.45 - join the 339 heritage bus service outside Epping Underground station to North Weald
- 10.20 - Meet your guide for an introduction to the Epping Ongar Railway
- 11.00 - Join the steam hauled service to Ongar
- 11.15 - arrive Ongar, a chance to take photographs of the train and tour the town or walk to Greensted church, both with your guide.
- 13.35 - back at Ongar station join the steam hauled service to North Weald (alternatively join the 14.35 diesel service through to Epping Forest)
- 13.50 - arrive North Weald. You may take the bus back to Epping, or spend time at North Weald station and take the diesel train into Epping Forest
- 15.05 - take the diesel train from North Weald for a return journey into Epping Forest
- 15.25 - arrive back at North Weald
- 15.30 - join the 339 heritage bus service back to Epping station at the end of an enjoyable day with the Epping Ongar Railway. You can, if you wish, alight from the bus in Epping High Street.
The price per person is £29.50 (children under 16 £17.50) which includes complimentary hot drinks and biscuits/cakes, a picnic lunch, your tour guide and all train and bus travel with the Epping Ongar Railway.
We aim to run our services using steam haulage as planned, but very occasionally we are unable to do so. Therefore our standard terms and conditions apply to the travel elements of our guided tours and we reserve the right to substitute a diesel locomotive for a steam locomotive or vice versa.
For all our guided tours you will need to be able to walk a couple of miles and for the walk to Greensted you will require sturdy shoes. Additionally the walk to Greenstead is not suitable for buggies or pushchairs or children under 10.
All tours require a minimum of 12 participants and we may cancel or offer an alternative if there are not enough bookings on any one day.
Ready to buy your tickets?
Simply select your chosen date from those highlighted below to purchase your tickets.