Great Western Railway 5700 class pannier tank 5786 (L92)
The Great Western Railway (GWR) made much use of its pannier tank designs for shunting, light goods and passenger work. By far the most numerous type was the 5700 Class, of which 5786 is an example. Eventually they numbered 863 and were to be found in almost all corners of the GWR system. They were introduced in 1929 and construction continued at various times until 1949.
5786 was one of several sold to London Transport and survived working engineers trains around the LT system as L.92
5786 was bought by the Worcester Locomotive Society and spent many years at Hereford before that site closed and the Society moved its base to the South Devon Railway. The engine had a major overhaul at Buckfastleigh and is in regular service on the line.
In 2013 the major rebuild of 5786 culminated in it being painted in its former London Transport livery again to mark 150 years since the world’s first underground train pulled out of Paddington station to make the first passenger journey – 3½ miles under the streets of London from Paddington to Farringdon and into the record books.
The locomotive visits courtesy of the South Devon Railway and Worcester Locomotive Society from September 2021 to January 2022