Santa's Special Train at North Weald - Additional Information
Santa's Special Trains depart from North Weald station. As you wait with anticipation on the platform, Santa and his helpers will arrive on his sleigh; where he will initally greet all the passengers; as the excitement mounts his very own special train arrives to take on a journey through the Essex countryside to Ongar before returning to North Weald.
There will be a stop at Ongar where the children will be able to see Santa from the comfort of your compartment, whilst the named presents are distributed. You are asked to remain on the train at this point in the journey to ensure that we can keep a safe social distance between Santa and the entertainers at all times. The journey from North Weald to Ongar and back takes about 55 minutes. You should allow up to 2 1/2 hours for the experience.
You must travel on the date and time of train booked, and you must sit in the compartment reserved and noted on your ticket. For the arrival of Santa, you must stand in the correct part of the platform for the show. There will be clearly marked areas on the platforms and carriages to help you. Please do ask the station staff if you are unsure. Don't forget to allow time to park or to catch the pre-booked bus service from Epping or Ongar! Should you miss your booked train we will do our best to accommodate you on a different train on the same day, though as we expect most trains to be at capacity this is not guaranteed. We do not provide refunds if you miss your booked train and cannot be re-accommodated.
Please note that the first part of the experience is outdoors on the platform prior to boarding the train. You are advised to dress accordingly.
Getting to us
We recognise that most of our passengers will want to drive to the Railway and so we have taken steps to increase the amount of parking at North Weald and introduced a modest charge to pay for this. There are some free buses available from Ongar and Epping but these must be pre-booked. You may need to pay for parking at Epping and Ongar. There will be reserved parking for blue badge holders please send us a note to our Santa Specials team once you have bought your parking ticket.
If you are parking with us, please follow the instructions of the marshals, and leave after your experience so that others can park. Display your pre-paid parking ticket in your window before arriving.
All trains depart from North Weald station. Postcode: CM16 6BT
Have you booked the connecting bus service?
Starting from Ongar
Please park in Ongar Town Centre.
The bus will pick up from the stop by the Budworth Hall, 30 minutes prior to the times shown on the main page. There is no need to go to Ongar Station.
Starting from Epping
Our 339 heritage bus service operates from right outside Epping Underground station (Central Line, zone 6). A large car park is available at Epping station (charges apply). Buses depart from Epping Station 30 minutes prior to the times shown on the main page.
Travelling via the Central Line? You can use the TfL journey planner to plan your journey to Epping in time for the connecting heritage bus.
Buggies and Pushchairs
With much reduced capacity on our Railway, there is space for buggies and pushchairs on the train. However remember that you will need to carry these over a footbridge and the doors to the carriage can narrow. So long as you feel you are able to do this then you are free to bring buggies to the train. Otherwise please leave these in your car. For passengers arriving by bus we will find a space in the station building to keep your items dry whilst you are with us.
Toilets and nappy changing facilities
There are no toilets on the train and no nappy changing facilities. There are toilet facilities at North Weald station. In an emergency you will be able to use the toilet at Ongar but be sure that you don’t miss Santa!
We regret that we are unable to accomodate wheelchairs onboard Santa's special train, but do check with our Santa Specials team and we can advise the best compartments to book that will allow a person to be assisted to a suitable seat. Whilst there is level access at North Weald there will be a small step up into the train. If you have any special accessibility requirements please contact us.
We are unable to accommodate dogs, except assistance dogs, onboard the train.
Terms and Conditions for Santa's Special Trains
- Once booked, we do not offer refunds of monies paid for tickets. Limited changes may be possible subject to availability.
- The Epping Ongar Railway will endeavour to run the train and connecting heritage bus services to the timetables shown, however, we cannot be held responsible for the consequence of any delays howsoever caused. Santa's Special Train will await the arrival of any delayed connecting heritage bus service though time at North Weald station prior to departure of the train may be limited in this case.
- Should you miss your booked train we will do our best to accomodate you on a different train on the same day, though as we expect most trains to be at capacity this is not guaranteed.
- Should any train be cancelled by the Epping Ongar Railway due to unforeseen circumstances then a full refund of monies paid will be provided. We will not be liable for any consequential loss.
- No refunds will be provided should you miss any train, including in cases of severe weather or illness.
Additional Terms and Conditions in relation to Coronavirus and any Health Protection Regulations ("Local Lockdowns")
- If you cancel your booking as a result of Coronavirus more than 30 days in advance of your date of travel a full refund will be given.
- If the person buying the ticket provides one week’s notice with evidence that they will be unable to travel due to the need to self-isolate or are in a lockdown area as determined by the address of the person making the booking then a full refund will be given.
- If less than one week's notice of the above then a refund of 50% of the value of the booking will be provided. If we are able to resell the compartment then a full refund will be provided. Alternatively the full value of the booking can be used against a transfer of your booking to a future Santa Special (subject to availability) or other events during 2021.
- A full no quibble refund will be provided, up to 12.00 on the day before travel of any additional adult seats (where specific additional adult tickets have been sold).
- No refunds or transfers of bookings will be offered for cancellations after 12.00 on the day before travel.