Santa Specials - Additional Information
Santa's Special Trains depart from North Weald station, and take you on a journey into Epping Forest and then through the Essex countryside to Ongar before returning to North Weald. Whilst there will be a short stop at Epping Forest and Ongar it will not be possible to board or get off the train at either location. The train journey lasts approximately 60 minutes, during which Santa will visit all passengers on the train and give a present to all the good children. As Santa has lots of people to visit he is unable to stop for individual photographs during the journey, but, except in unavoidable circumstances, there will be time for photographs with Santa and possibly some of his elves, in his living room at the end of the journey. You should allow up to 2 1/2 hours for the experience including train and bus travel.
You must travel on the date and time of train booked, and you must sit in the seats reserved and noted on your ticket. Look out for the coach names on the platform to show you where you coach is located. Please do ask the station staff if you are unsure. Don't forget to allow time for the bus service from Epping or Ongar! Should you miss your booked train we will do our best to accomodate you on a different train on the same day, though as we expect most trains to be at capacity this is not guaranteed. We do not provide refunds if you miss your booked train and cannot be re-accomodated.
Getting to us
We recommend you start your journey at Epping or Ongar. There is limited parking at North Weald station. Priority will be given to blue badge holders. Please park responsibly in the local area, but refrain from parking in the neighbouring road 'Tempest Mead'.
Travelling via the Central Line? You can use the TfL journey planner to plan your journey to Epping in time for the connecting heritage bus.
Starting from Ongar
Please park in Ongar Town Centre - parking is free in December. There is limited disabled parking at Ongar station, and this must be booked in advance. (email@example.com)
The bus will pick up from the stop opposite the library and from the top of the station approach road at the times shown on the main page. There is no need to go to Ongar Station. There is a car park opposite the Two Brewers pub and buses will call here too - 5 minutes earlier than the times shown.
Starting from Epping
Our 339 heritage bus service operates from right outside Epping Underground station (Central Line, zone 6), picking up at any bus stop along Epping High Street and North Weald High Road to North Weald station. A large car park is available at Epping station (charges apply). See the main page for times.
Buggies and Pushchairs
There is no space for buggies and pushchairs on the train and buses. Non folding buggies and pushchairs are not permitted. There is limited space in our "buggie park" at North Weald station, but we cannot be held responsible for items left here during your journey.
Toilets and nappy changing facilities
There is one working toilet on the train, but no nappy changing facilities. The availability of this facility may be impacted by the weather conditions. There are toilet facilities at North Weald station and at Epping Underground station.
We regret that we are unable to accomodate wheelchairs onboard Santa's special train. Whilst there is level access at North Weald there will be a small step up into the train. If you have any special accessibility requirements please contact us.
We are unable to accomodate dogs, except assistance dogs, onboard the train.
Terms and Conditions for Santa's Special Trains
- Once booked, we do not offer refunds of monies paid for tickets. Limited changes may be possible subject to availability.
- The Epping Ongar Railway will endeavour to run the train and connecting heritage bus services to the timetables shown, however, we cannot be held responsible for the consequence of any delays howsoever caused. Santa's Special Train will await the arrival of any delayed connecting heritage bus service though time at North Weald station prior to departure of the train may be limited in this case.
- Should you miss your booked train we will do our best to accomodate you on a different train on the same day, though as we expect most trains to be at capacity this is not guaranteed.
- Should any train be cancelled by the Epping Ongar Railway due to unforeseen circumstances then a full refund of monies paid will be provided. We will not be liable for any consequential loss.
- No refunds will be provided should you miss any train, including in cases of severe weather or illness.